For THE LOVE of THE WILD – Welcome to Whitefish, Montana! Close to Glacier National Park, and serving up world class adventures!
A Vibrant Town in Montana’s Glacier Country
Whitefish, Montana is a mountain resort town packed with history, heritage, and adventure fun year-round. It’s the western gateway to spectacular Glacier National Park, only minutes away. This bustling northwest Montana town has an iconic Central Avenue boasting an impressive lineup of fine dining, boutique shopping, art galleries, breweries, and plenty of watering holes. Whitefish Downtown Suites is located at the heart of the action on Central Avenue, directly above Abruzzo’s Italian Kitchen and within convenient walking distance to all Whitefish has to offer.
Guests of all ages and interests can enjoy a variety of recreational opportunities right from the doorsteps of Whitefish Downtown Suites, year-round. Tuesday evenings downtown are bustling with locals and tourists who show up to enjoy the Whitefish Farmer’s Market. Market goers can peruse locally grown produce, enjoy dinner from food vendors, watch live music, and shop unique arts and crafts. Each of our condos are furnished with a full kitchen, so grab some of that fresh Farmer’s Market finds and prepare a healthy and delicious meal in the comfort of your home away from home. See the details by season on area activities below, and also check out the, and check out the Whitefish Visitors Guide.
Glacier National Park – An Easy Day Trip from Whitefish
Not to be missed is Glacier National Park, known as “The Crown Jewel of the Continent.” The West entrance to Glacier Park is 25 miles from town. If you’re looking for unspoiled “Montana”… this is it. Visiting Glacier National Park is like stepping into a postcard…rivers,
dramatic mountain peaks, wildlife, and lakes surround you in sweeping panoramic views. You will be stunned into holy silence, we all but guarantee it!
Visitors can drive the famed 50 mile stretch of Going-to-the-Sun-Road, or leave the driving to someone else with a Scenic Red Bus Tour. Reservations may be required, so be sure to check the GNP website before you go to get the most updated information.
What’s the Weather Like in Whitefish MT?
- Spring: From the end of March through the middle of May, the temperatures will get up to 50-60 degrees in the daytime and still 30-40 degrees at night. During late spring/early summer, mid-May through the end of June, days are about 60-70 degrees and nights are 40-50 degrees.
- Summer: Days from the beginning of July through the end of September are a warm 70-90 degrees cloaked by the elevation and winds – be sure to bring your sunscreen – it will only feel 65 degrees. You can actually see the weather – storms rolling in or away – because of the big sky factor.
- Fall: Late summer through the fall is when things are winding down and settling in for the winter. The heat of the summer has subsided and the temperature is just perfect to enjoy all that Montana has to offer. Days from the beginning of October through November are similar to spring. Expect 60-70 degrees during the day with nights in the 40-50 degree range.
- Winter: Whitefish becomes a winter wonderland from December to February. Temperatures range from 30-40 degrees in the day and drop to the mid-teens at night. With 300 inches of snow a year, winter is the perfect time to visit for any snow sports loves.
Popular Summer Activities in Whitefish Montana
In the summer, check out City Beach, our local mountain lake featuring concessions, clear water, a lifeguard, and of course, an amazing mountain backdrop. Bikers and hikers can hit the trails at Lion Mountain for an invigorating outdoor experience in the woods. Anglers will relish the stunning clear waters of the famous Flathead River, and there’s plenty of family-friendly rafting for all ages.
It’s not a Montana vacation without horseback riding at a guest ranch – there’s plenty of that near Whitefish, too!
- Downtown Whitefish – Great shopping, dining, theater, and nightlife – you are in the middle of it. In addition, there is always something going on in the Majestic Valley arena like concerts, cowboy shows, etc.
- Glacier National Park – The “Crown Jewel of the Continent” is well worth the 23 mile trip to see and drive on the “going to the sun” road or take Amtrak there.
- Whitefish Mountain Ski and Summer Resort – Just 7 miles away, has plenty to offer throughout the summer with festivals, gondola rides, walk in the tree tops and much more.
- Fly fishing – Montana is all about fly fishing. Some of the best fishing in the world surrounds the Suites. We like Northern Rockies Outfitters.
- Lake fishing – There are many lakes to fish within the Flathead Valley. Just down the road you can fish for 20-pound Mackinaw Trout or for huge Northern Pike, Whitefish, and Cutthroat Trout in Whitefish lake.
- Whitewater Rafting and Kayaking – Ride class II – IV rapids for a half or full day – just twenty miles down the road. We recommend Glacier Raft.
- Championship golf – Nine courses within an hours drive and a 36 whole world class course just 1.5 miles down the road.
- Aerial Tours – Take a helicopter over the continental divide and see the goat families sitting on top of peaks that are thousands and thousands of feet high.
- Hiking – Hike the Whitefish Trail system with 24 miles of trails covering all sorts of terrain. Hike Glacier National Park (make sure to make a reservation) or in the “Bob” (short for the Bob Marshall Wilderness) with 1,800 miles of trails. Or, Jewell Basin covers over 15,000 acres of peaks, ridges and alpine lakes, streams and meadows.
- Day Spa – Whitefish is home to several wonderful day spas that guests can visit. We like the Spa at Meadow Lake.
- Lake Cruises and Water Sports – Enjoy a day of sailing, motor boating, jet skiing, water skiing and more just down the street on Whitefish Lake.
- Big Sky Sporting Clays – They are without a doubt one of the best sporting clay fields in the world. You could spend all day and still want to shoot more.
- Blue Moon Rodeo Series – The Blue Moon Rodeo Summer Series is as real a rodeo as it gets. Every week of the summer, on either Thursday or Saturday night the Blue Moon Rodeo will provide you with some of Montana’s best riders and ropers. Get there early to see how things come together and marvel at how well these cowboys and cowgirls sit a saddle.
- Zip Line Tours – Put on a paragliding-style harness, click into your custom built cable trolley, and then fly around Whitefish Mountain! The 3-hour (approximately) zip line tour will thrill riders of all ages. Six separate spans with side-by-side zipping action will carry you more than 300 feet off the ground at speeds possibly topping 50 mph, with short hikes between each span.
- Other Area Sites and Activities –Visit the Mystery House with a vortex that claims to defy gravity, the water park with 11 slides, or the go-cart and maze and bumper boat water park. Take a hot air balloon ride, sky dive, or just take in the beauty of the Flathead Valley.
Popular Winter Activities in Whitefish Montana
In the winter, skiers and snowboarders revel in the slopes and snow of Whitefish Mountain Resort. This is a town that loves to ski! Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort was rated the top resort for overall satisfaction by Ski Magazine readers in 2019! Hop on the free snow bus right from your condo to hit the slopes at the mountain. How about sleigh rides and hot chocolate on beautiful snowy trails? Plenty of that in Whitefish!
- Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort is just 7 miles away. There is terrain for every level skier. The lines are short and the snow is great – what more could you ask for? The longest trail is 2,200 feet of vertical drop of pure fun.
- Cross-Country Skiing and Nordic Skiing – There are 3 cross country ski areas within a few miles of the Suites with over 200 miles of groomed trails and there is also the Glacier Park System which you can visit for the day via Amtrak – a fun ride and a beautiful area to ski.
- Back Country Skiing –Great Northern Powder Guides offers back country skiing on the Stryker Ridge territory. The untracked powder seems endless as you traverse down again and again. The snow cat will bring you up as many times as you like until either your legs give out or you run out of sun – usually it’s the legs that go first.
- Snowmobiling – There are tens of thousands of miles of trails around Whitefish to choose from. Bring your own sleds or we will help you to rent from one of at least three snowmobile outfitters in the immediate area, like Northwest Montana Adventures.
- Dog Sledding – One of the most special things to do – definitely a twice in a lifetime activity to experience. Guests from 8 months to 80 years have loved the experience and the dogs. Use Dog Sled Adventures Montana.
- Ice Fishing – On Whitefish Lake.
- Day Spas – Whitefish is home to several wonderful day spas that guests can visit. We like the Spa at Meadow Lake.
- Whitefish Area Events– Enjoy The Christmas Stroll with roasted chestnuts along main street. The Winter Carnival brings thousands to downtown Whitefish to crown the Royalty.
- Whitefish Shopping and Top-rated Restaurants – The town of Whitefish is rich with great dinning, shopping, theatre and nightlife.